Civil Union Licenses

Special Notice

We are open for couples to obtain licenses in-person between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. As of January 3, 2023, our hours of operation for in-person customers will change. Our new office hours will be 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. We encourage applicants to submit their information using the online application prior to coming in person to obtain the license. 

If you plan to enter into a civil union in Peoria County, both parties must apply for the civil union license in our office. For additional information, call 309-672-6059.

Online License Application

In order to save yourself time, you may submit your application online prior to coming to our office.

Age Requirements

Both applicants must be present to obtain a license and be 18 years of age. All applicants are required to show proof of age. We accept:

  • Certified copy of a birth certificate
  • Draft card
  • Military identification
  • State identification
  • U.S. Passport
  • Valid driver's license

Previous Marriages & Civil Unions

We must know how your previous marriage, civil union or substantially similar legal relationship ended, including the date, county and state in which it ended. If a prior marriage, civil union or substantially similar legal relationship ended within the last six months, the County Clerk's office must see a certified copy (a photocopy is not sufficient) of the death record, divorce, dissolution or annulment decree.


If either person lives in another state, we will issue a license only if the civil union would not be prohibited by that state.

Effective Date of License

Civil union licenses must be obtained at least one day prior to the civil union. The civil union must take place in Peoria County within 60 days.


The fee for a civil union license is $75 which must be paid for with cash, check (check must include your Driver's License Number and State where issued, if not Illinois, and your phone number), debit card or a Master Card, Discovery or American Express credit card. There is a $2.50 charge for debit card usage. Credit card transactions up to $50 will be charged a $2.50 fee. Additional fees apply to credit card transactions above $50. After your civil union, certified copies of your civil union license may be purchased. The first certified copy is $16 and additional copies are $7 each.

Medical Examination

No medical tests are required.

Clergy or Judge Services

Judges will perform ceremonies in the Courthouse. Appointments are necessary. For information regarding judges, please call 309-672-6984. The judge's fee is $10, and witnesses are not required.

Parties to a Civil Union Who Wish to Marry in a Ceremony

Parties to a civil union may apply for and receive a marriage license and have the marriage solemnized and registered as a marriage, provided the parties are otherwise eligible to marry and the parties to the marriage are the same as the parties to the civil union. If your civil union license was issued in another county, we will need a certified copy of your civil union license and there will be a $75 marriage license fee. The application process is the same as for other marriages, but there is no application fee in this instance. After your marriage, certified copies of your marriage license may be purchased. The first certified copy is $16, and additional copies are $7 each.